Precautions and Warnings With Epirubicin
Knowing the precautions and warnings with epirubicin prior to starting the drug can help reduce risks and ensure a safe treatment process. Epirubicin may increase your risk of developing congestive heart failure or other heart problems, decrease the bone marrow's ability to produce blood cells, and cause nausea and vomiting. Certain people should not take epirubicin, including those who are allergic to any components of the medicine, have severe liver disease, or have severe heart failure.
You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking epirubicin hydrochloride (Ellence®) if you have:
- Congestive heart failure (CHF), an irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia), or other heart problems
- A history of low levels of white blood cells in the blood (known medically as neutropenia)
- Any infection
- Liver disease, including liver failure or cirrhosis
- Kidney disease, including kidney failure (renal failure)
- Any allergies, including allergies to food, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about all other medicines you are currently taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.