Emend Warnings and Precautions
There are many important Emend warnings and precautions to be aware of, including information on who should not take the drug. Prior to taking the medicine, let your healthcare provider know if you have liver disease or any allergies. You should not take Emend if you are allergic to any components of the drug or are taking any medicines that may cause life-threatening interactions with Emend.
- Liver disease, including cirrhosis or liver failure
- Any allergies, including allergies to food, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you:
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
- Are breastfeeding
- Are taking oral contraceptives (birth control pills).
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about all other medicines you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Warnings and precautions to be aware of prior to taking Emend include the following:
- Emend can interact with a number of other medications (see Emend Drug Interactions for more information). Some interactions with Emend can be life threatening.
- Emend may make birth control pills less effective, increasing your risk of pregnancy. You should use a back-up method of contraception (such as condoms) during Emend treatment and for one month after stopping Emend.
- Emend has not been studied for continuous use and is not intended to be used in this manner.
- If you have liver disease, your body may not metabolize Emend as well as it should. Therefore, you may require extra monitoring by your healthcare provider, and you may need to take a lower Emend dosage.
- Emend is considered a pregnancy Category B medication. This means that it is probably safe for use during pregnancy, although the full risks are not known (see Emend and Pregnancy).
- It is not known if Emend passes through breast milk. Therefore, if you are breastfeeding or plan to start, discuss this with your healthcare provider prior to taking the drug (see Emend and Breastfeeding).