Cancer Channel
Related Channels

Caphosol Uses

If you have a dry mouth or throat, you may consider using Caphosol. This prescription mouth rinse is also approved to treat mouth sores caused by radiation or chemotherapy treatment. Caphosol is approved for adults only, and can help improve how well dentures fit in older adults. This medicine resembles natural human saliva and works to help moisten and clean the mouth.

What Is Caphosol Used For?

Caphosol® (supersaturated calcium phosphate rinse) is a prescription mouth rinse approved to relieve a dry mouth or throat caused by any condition. It is also approved to reduce the pain associated with mouth sores (known medically as mucositis) caused by radiation or high-dose chemotherapy treatment.

Using Caphosol for the Treatment of Dry Mouth and Throat

A variety of medical conditions can reduce the amount of saliva in the mouth, leading to dryness of the mouth and throat (known medically as xerostomia). Some of these conditions may include but are not limited to:
In addition, certain medications, including antidepressants, antihistamines, and many others, can reduce saliva secretion and cause a dry mouth.
Regardless of the cause, a dry mouth can be extremely uncomfortable. People with a dry mouth may find it difficult to chew and swallow food. It also increases the risk for dental cavities and mouth infections. In addition, a dry mouth can affect how well dentures fit.
Caphosol is approved to treat a dry mouth and throat, regardless of the cause. It can be used to treat a dry mouth and throat caused by conditions that aren't expected to last, as well as conditions that are permanent.
The Zen of Cancer Caregiving - Recharge Your Batteries!

Caphosol Solution Information

Referring Pages:
Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2020 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.