Alternative Brain Cancer Treatment
Types of alternative brain cancer treatment include acupuncture, massage therapy, herbal products, relaxation techniques, and vitamins. Some people find that such treatments help them relieve stress or reduce side effects and symptoms. Patients should discuss the possible benefits and harmful side effects of alternative methods with their doctor prior to trying them.
Some people use alternative brain cancer treatment to ease stress or reduce side effects and symptoms. In most cases, people will combine alternative methods with the more standard forms of treatment (surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy).
When considering alternative treatments for brain cancer, options include:
- Massage therapy
- Herbal products
- Vitamins or special diets
- Spiritual healing.
Some alternatives may interfere with standard treatment, and combining them with standard options may even be harmful. It is important to note that some types of nontraditional treatments are expensive, and health insurance may not cover their costs.
Patients should discuss the possible benefits and harmful effects of alternative brain cancer treatment with their doctor prior to trying them. Questions to ask your doctor about such options include:
- What benefits can I expect from this approach?
- What are its risks?
- Do the expected benefits outweigh the risks?
- What side effects should I watch for?
- Will this alternative treatment change the way my brain cancer treatment works?
- Could this alternative treatment for brain cancer be harmful?
- Is this approach under study in a clinical trial? If so, who sponsors the trial?
- Will my health insurance pay for this approach?