Bexxar Side Effects
When undergoing cancer treatment with Bexxar, be watchful for problems like shortness of breath, unusual bruising, or other potentially serious problems that you should report to a healthcare provider right away. While some people may not experience any reactions with this drug, most people will develop some type of side effect. Bexxar is commonly known to cause low blood cell counts, weakness, and infections.
An Introduction to Bexxar Side EffectsJust like any medicine, Bexxar® (tositumomab) may cause side effects, some of which can be significant. Although not everyone who receives this medicine will have problems, most people will experience some type of adverse reaction with this drug.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Bexxar. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Common Side Effects With BexxarBexxar has been studied extensively in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people who received the drug were carefully documented. As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred and how often they appeared.
In clinical studies, the most common Bexxar side effects included:
- Low blood cell counts -- in up to 71 percent of people
- Lack of strength (weakness) -- up to 46 percent
- Infection of any kind -- up to 45 percent
- Any gastrointestinal (GI) side effect -- up to 45 percent
- Fever -- up to 37 percent
- Nausea -- up to 36 percent
- Coughing -- up to 21 percent
- Pain -- up to 19 percent
- Chills -- up to 18 percent
- Rash -- up to 17 percent.
Other common side effects, occurring in 5 percent to 16 percent of people, included:
- Abdominal (stomach) pain
- Muscle and joint pain
- Decreased appetite and weight loss
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Swelling of the arms, hands, legs, ankles, and feet
- Sore throat
- Shortness of breath
- Stuffy or runny nose
- Back pain
- Chest pain
- Neck pain
- Heartburn or indigestion
- Underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism)
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Flushing (sudden redness of the face, neck, and chest)
- Bleeding problems.