Alkeran Dosing Guidelines for Ovarian CancerThe usual recommended dose of Alkeran tablets for the treatment of cancer of the ovaries is 0.2 mg per kg body weight (about 0.09 mg per lb) for five days in a row. This dose is repeated every four to five weeks, as long as blood cell counts are not too low.
General Information on Taking AlkeranSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Alkeran include the following:
- This medicine comes as a tablet that is taken by mouth, and as an injection that is given through a needle inserted into a vein (an intravenous, or IV, injection).
- Alkeran tablets are normally taken every day for 4 to 21 days, followed by a break in treatment. The injection is normally given once every two to four weeks.
- You will receive the injectable form of this medicine by a trained healthcare provider, usually in a healthcare setting, such as a hospital or clinic.
- It will take 15 to 20 minutes to receive your Alkeran injection.
- Try to take the tablets on an empty stomach. Taking them with food may reduce the amount of drug absorbed from your gastrointestinal (GI) tract into your bloodstream.
- For this drug to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The response to treatment may be gradual over many months, and the maximum benefits may not occur if the drug is stopped too soon.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage, please talk with your healthcare provider or pharmacist.