Actiq Storage and Disposal
Because Actiq could cause potentially dangerous and even life-threatening complications when used by people for whom it is not prescribed, it is important to know how to properly store and dispose of this medication. Make sure to store Actiq in a safe place, out of the reach of children. When disposing of an unused Actiq lozenge, you will need to flush it down the toilet.
An Introduction to Actiq Storage and DisposalActiq® (fentanyl lozenge) is a very strong prescription opioid narcotic used to treat breakthrough cancer pain in people who are regularly using other opioid pain medications to treat their underlying pain. It is a Schedule II federally controlled substance, which means it is considered to have the highest potential for abuse.
Actiq may cause death if accidentally used by children or people who have not been prescribed the medication. Therefore, it is very important to store and dispose of Actiq properly to help prevent possible theft or accidental ingestion.
Proper Actiq StorageActiq comes in single-use, child-resistant packages. Store the unopened packages in a safe place, away from children. Keep the child-resistant packages sealed until immediately before use, at which time they may be opened with scissors.
Proper Actiq DisposalIf an Actiq lozenge is completely consumed, the handle may be thrown away. However, make sure to throw the handle away in a place that is out of the reach of children.
Partially used Actiq lozenges may still contain enough medication to seriously harm a child or people who have not been prescribed the medication. To dispose of a partially used Actiq lozenge, place the handle under hot running water until the medicine is completely dissolved. Throw the handle away in a place that is out of the reach of children.
If you no longer need to use Actiq, dispose of any unused lozenges immediately. To dispose of unused Actiq lozenges, follow these steps:
- Take all of the unused and sealed Actiq packages into the bathroom, with scissors and wire-cutting pliers.
- Using scissors, cut open one Actiq package and remove the lozenge.
- Hold the lozenge over the toilet by the handle.
- Use the pliers to cut the medicine off the handle so that the medication falls into the toilet.
- Throw the handle away in a place that is out of the reach of children.
- Repeat the above steps for up to four more Actiq lozenges.
- Flush the toilet twice after five lozenges are in the toilet. Do not flush more than five lozenges at a time.
- If you have additional lozenges, repeat the steps until all of the lozenges have been disposed of.