Abiraterone Side Effects
Some of the potential side effects of abiraterone include fluid retention, hot flushes, and diarrhea. In most cases, reactions to this medicine tend to be minor and easily treated. However, there are also some problems that are potentially serious and should be reported to a healthcare provider immediately, including heart palpitations, shortness of breath, and swelling of the mouth or throat.
An Introduction to Side Effects of AbirateroneJust like any medicine, abiraterone acetate (Zytiga™) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with abiraterone. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Serious Abiraterone Side EffectsSome side effects of abiraterone are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- An irregular, rapid, or forcefully beating heart (palpitations)
- Dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness
- Muscle weakness
- Swelling in your legs or feet
- Leg pain or cramps
- Shortness of breath, especially during physical exertion
- Blood in the urine or problems urinating
- Signs of liver problems, such as:
- Dark urine
- Loss of appetite
- Fatigue or excessive tiredness
- Pain in the upper-right area of the abdomen (stomach)
- Yellowing of the whites of the eyes or skin (jaundice)
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:
- An unexplained rash
- Swelling of the mouth or throat
- Difficulty breathing.