When and How to Take AbirateroneSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with abiraterone include the following:
- This medication comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth once a day.
- Abiraterone should be taken on an empty stomach. Do not eat anything for at least two hours before and one hour after taking your dose. Taking this medicine with food may cause too much of the medication to be absorbed into the body, increasing your risk for side effects.
- This medicine is used in combination with prednisone. Because prednisone is taken with food, you will need to take abiraterone and prednisone at different times during the day.
- Take this medication with a glass of water.
- Do not crush, chew, or break abiraterone tablets. Make sure to swallow them whole.
- Try to take your dose at about the same time each day, to maintain an even level of the medicine in your bloodstream.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It is important to not stop taking abiraterone even if you are feeling better.
Storage InformationAbiraterone should be stored at room temperature. Keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children.
What If I Forget a Dose of Abiraterone?If you forget to take a dose of abiraterone, simply skip your missed dose and take your normal dose the following day. If you miss two doses of abiraterone, contact your healthcare provider right away. Do not take a double dose.
Is There a Generic Version?This medication is not available in generic form (see Generic Zytiga for more information).